Here are some Frequently Asked Questions about Coaching and Consulting you may find helpful.
WHAT MAKES People at work DIFFERENT FROM OTHER CAREER COACHING AND CONSULTING FIRMS?
What sets us apart from many other coaching and consulting firms is our insider experience.
Our education and training has helped us build a solid foundation, but at the end of the day, our roles as recruiters, trainers and managers are what give us the competitive edge.
Here are some other things that we believe help us provide exceptional solutions for our clients:
- Our great insider corporate experience which directly translates into us having a clear understanding of what it takes to be successful in today’s job market.
- Expertise in coaching for “hard” and “soft” skills which means we can provide you end-to-end solutions. This includes anything from improving your resume to increasing your influencing skills, and everything in between.
- Unwavering commitment to excellence and professionalism. This means we are invested in your success and are trustworthy and discreet.
- Our collaborative spirit. We have over 30 years of combined relevant experience, in addition to complementary expertise and training. This association enables us to provide comprehensive services to our clients, more so that if we worked independently. Our process allows us to work together in identifying a client’s needs in order to assigning the coach that is most beneficial to that requirement. Our packages allow you to work with one coach for the duration of the project, or to split your time between the coaches depending on your specific needs.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN COACHING AND CONSULTING?
In professional settings, coaching and consulting are often used as catch-all, interchangeable phrases meant to describe training, providing feedback and even disciplining employees.
In the context of our practice, coaching refers to creating space for the client by asking thoughtful questions that allow for clarity, intentions and solutions to emerge.
A basic premise in professional coaching is that the client knows themselves better than anyone else and, in most cases, they already have the answers within them and just need help to bring those out.
Our experience is that our professional coaching results in creating a safe and confidential space that allows the client to clear focus on what they want while increasing their confidence.
Consulting, on the other hand, implies the identification of a problem or issue and the process of applying relevant information or skills to address the gap. Practically speaking, at People at Work, we bring our extensive insider experience, along with our education and training to problem-solve with our clients. The end goal is that of increasing their marketability and effectiveness during their job search, career transition and overall professional performance.
WHY DOES CAREER COACHING SEEM “EXPENSIVE”?
Like in many areas of life, a higher quality product requires a higher financial investment. When hiring a career coach, it’s important to know that you are not only paying them for the time they spend with you on one-on-one sessions, but also for the value they have in the market, which is influenced by their education, experience and overall capability to provide practical solutions.
If you hire the right coach and are willing to put in the work required, this expertise translates into a coaching and consulting relationship that increases your marketability and enables you to hit the ground running during a time of career transition.
Most coaches also decide to work with a limited number of clients to ensure they are providing targeted solutions to their needs. So, unlike a “normal” 9-5 job, most coaches will not see 40 clients in a week. This is due, in part, to the attention needed in a coaching setting (high degree of presence, intense listening and problem-solving), in addition to the supplemental time required pre- and post calls and the time needed to stay current on the job market, hiring practices, research, etc.
However, coaches can be found at all price points. So please do your homework and have a chat with any potential coaches you are considering to ensure you feel comfortable knowing that their experience meets your needs.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT IF I HIRE YOU?
Logistically, you can expect the following:
- All meetings are conducted virtually, either on the phone or via Skype.
- Before you hire us, we will meet you for a 20-minute get-to-know-you session (free of charge) to ensure that we are a good fit. Our integrity means everything to us and we will not agree to work with you unless we feel confident that our offerings can serve you.
- During the engagement process, you will receive a contract outlining the details of the package you are purchasing, along with an invoice that you can pay electronically.
- Once the contract is executed and the payment is received, you will get a link to our calendar to schedule our first call.
- When our schedule permits, both Jean and Karl will attend the foundation (first) call that is part of the coaching packages. Doing so allows us to leverage our combined expertise in identifying focus areas for our work together. This collaboration (between Jean and Karl) results in no additional cost to you.
- Following our foundation call, we will make a recommendation on how to invest the time in your coaching package. We can make adjustments to that plan based on your feedback.
- Once we agree on a plan forward, you can book follow-up calls (using the same scheduling tool) based on your desired frequency and the coach’s availability.
During your work with us you can also expect:
Loyalty- We are dedicated to helping you with the skills needed to reach your career goals.
Honesty- You are hiring us to provide you with our honest feedback, guidance and opinion based on our expertise. We are on your side and rooting for you every step of the way, but some feedback may be difficult to hear. If this happens, our only request is that you voice any concerns you have and that we work collaboratively to get you results.
Transparency- Every effort is made on our part to maximize the results of our work together. At any time, you can request additional resources or time focusing on a specific skill, and we can work together to adjust our roadmap. Our goal is not to have you feel like you “need” us, but, instead, that our work together empowers you and makes you more confident during this career transition.
Commitment to Excellence- We intend to provide you with efficient and elegant solutions for your career needs. If at any time, you feel you need to adjust our work, we only ask that you let us know. Our greatest joy is helping our clients get the results they want.